Friday, August 23, 2013

Keeping my my world un-mad

So this song keeps coming up on Pandora, and I was struck by the lyrics today.

As school and Jake’s new grad school schedule begins, with all the changes at work too, I have to be vigilant of falling into the worn out faces category of people described in the song. What scares me is getting so wrapped up in going through the motions and getting stuff done, that I miss those kids, the ones described in the fourth verse- I don’t want to look right through them- I want them to learn and grow and feel loved.

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head I wanna drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles its a very, very
Mad world
, mad world

Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy birthday, happy birthday
And I feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen

Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello teacher tell me, what's my lesson?
Look right through me
, look right through me

And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles its a very, very
Mad world, mad world, enlarging your world
Mad world

(Gary Jules - Mad World)

It is a beautiful song- but what I appreciate is the reminder to make each day matter, to connect with people even when I’m tired and frustrated and such. Just a note to self as we get the ball rolling on Year 4 & some change! :)

No comments: