Thursday, August 15, 2013

Evangelical errors.

995161_630398073651155_2000574603_n

This lovely little graphic floated across my Facebook newsfeed recently.

I shuttered.

I am known to be a  English nerd and a bit of a grammarian, so of course this would annoy me. But, really? Angles?

This is an ANGLE.

This is an ANGEL.

(I’m particularly fond of this print, by the way… it reminds me of one that was in my grandmother’s house when I was little. I’m not so sure I agree with the traditional depiction of angels, but not sure if I disagree either. It’s just one of those mysterious aspects of Christian faith I take a guess-I’ll-know-someday attitude about. I don’t get the appeal so much, as I imagine Jesus by my side rather than some winged creature, but that’s just me. I also prefer to think of them more warrior-like, since God’s almighty and all that. In my head, He’s not so much grandfatherly, but beyond description- not necessarily human form [maybe?] but glowing and evoking that same feeling you get when you see Rambo. Blowing evil out of the water… I get this bubbly feeling in my heart knowing He rescued me- He’s taking out darkness and sin with a machine gun of love and forgiveness. I realize my vision isn’t exactly orthodox, but, whatevs. He’s my God. He loves ME, and until I see Him face to face, I’ll let my imagination run wild with longing for Beulah Land.)

My point, my frustration, my annoyance is this:
Whatever you do for the Lord, do with ALL YOUR MIGHT.

Colossians 3:23-24… Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

I realize not everyone who knows and loves the Lord is educated in spelling and grammar, and by no means should ignorance, a lack of knowledge, or a poor background stop someone from sharing about Jesus. He died for ALL.  (So, know that I say this next part without condemnation, but constructive criticism for a fellow believer…)
If you’re going to take the time to make a spiffy little graphic like above (and have the KNOWLEDGE and wherewithal to make such) specifically for Facebook reposting folks, AT LEAST take the time to get your spelling right (ON A 3RD GRADE WORD). It makes Christians (and subsequently, the Christian faith) seem ignorant, and in a world where we must be quick to have an answer, to be knowledgeable to defend our beliefs, this junk does nothing to spread the Gospel but rather elicit eye rolls at those ignorant “Christian” people. If spelling and grammar is not your area of strength, use another method to spread His love. Talk to people. Pray. Go on missions. Build, give, and use your talents to reach out to people in need. But for the love (literally?), don’t make silly Facebook graphics. M’kay? Thanks.

Okay, end rant.

No comments: