Friday, September 16, 2011

What does help…

-Get Well/We Miss You cards from 90ish seventh graders.
-Talking to someone who knows what it’s like. Someone you can share the graphic details and psychotic thoughts and innermost notions, and they get it. Most people don’t. And that’s not anyone’s fault. Heck, before this, I would not have had a clue as to what to say to someone going through this. But, I’m just sayin’, it is very freeing to put your deep thoughts into words, those am-I-crazy feelings and have someone on the end of the line say, “Yep, I feel the same way.”
-Hugs. You know those kind that last a few seconds longer, the one ones that say, hey, I’m not doing this out of obligation, tradition, or awkward-moment-and-I-don’t-know-what-else-to-do, but the ones that say, hey, I really do love you and I really don’t know what to do but keep loving you. Yeah, those help.
-Letters. Old fashioned, lick-a-stamp letters. It’s that extra work that means so much.
-Laughter. I crave it. I want to smile, dance, and giggle. It’s like taking in a deep breath after weeks of gasping for air.
-Time with Jake. Oh, this is indescribable.
-Good neighbors who check on you.
-Random visits… just to see if I need help with laundry.
-My mom. Just her presence makes any wound, no matter how deep, start to heal.
-Most importantly, He helps. Listening and looking for His presence in the middle of the mess takes daily focus. But when I seek Him, I find Him.

No comments: