Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Are we there yet?

Ughhhhhhh…. is it Christmas break yet?!

I usually try not to blog about school (ha!) just because I’d like to keep it compartmentalized so that I don’t loose my mind- so much that Hubby and I have times when we ban ourselves from discussing it (two dedicated educators in the same house can be dangerous…). That’s one of the reasons my blogging decreases during the school year, that and my extraordinary lack of time or brain functionality. Well, I’ve been trying to communicate the idea to my kiddos that writing is cathartic and really helps you sort out your thoughts. So today, I’m eating my words and blogging about school (Not to mention the laughs I got from reading a teacher’s blog who also teaches 7th grade ELA… HILARIOUS tales from the trenches, by the way…).

So anyways, about this time of year, when Christmas break is so close the little monsters students can taste it, they tend to go bananas. The talking is nonstop, the whining is endless, and the drama is ongoing. Shoot. me. now.

One lovely child who shall (obviously) remain nameless called me “cuz” today, and I just stopped and stared. It was one of those moments that I had to just breathe and remind myself that my heinous unkind thoughts were not healthy for my sanity, haha.

Its been one of those days when you just want to shake them and scream, “WAKE UP! I’M TRYING TO HELP YOU! I WANT YOU TO SUCCEED!”
I mean, really… if you could have been a fly on the wall.

I wanted to hide under my desk… take that bachelor’s degree back and ask for a refund… jump off a cliff… run away and never look back.

The kids KNOW that I love them. WHY do they fight me so? Why!?
How can some parents be so neglectful that their children lack such basic understandings like how to respond to each other, or how to eat in a cafeteria, or sit in a desk, or speak to an adult… It breaks my heart to know that I have children that go home to empty homes and have parents who have never asked, “hey, son/daughter, how was your day, what did you learn?”  Which is why I feel guilty for getting so mad at them that I start imagining their pretty little heads as soccer balls. But, the level of disrespect today hit an all-time high.

I don’t know how to fix this. I’m told it’s par for the course with the break a mere 7 and 1/2 days away. Maybe it’s true and January will improve. If not, I’m gonna be running this show like a prison until they can show a little maturity and respect.

I gotta go get some discipline referrals. I know I’m going to need them.

No comments: