Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Lunch success;

I just got home from my first final and selling back some of my books. Blah! I cannot find the words that fully express how much I LOATHE this semester. It sucks.
We're a little (okay, a lot) broke this time of year and I haven't had the time or cash to go get groceries, so I'm taking notes from my sister in law and making what she calls "cream of cabinet" which is essentially totally yummy things thrown together using whatever is in the cabinet or fridge. So here is my cream of cabinet lunch.
I wanted Mexican and some coffee, so I made myself a hot turkey and provolone sandwich and put some Mexican spices on the turkey and it was actually really good. I found some captain wafers salad crackers in my takeout canister (where I keep the extra duck sauce, honey mustard, etc) and put some peanut butter on them and had them with my sandwich. I was actually filling and yummy. But I still had the hankering for coffee, and lo and behold we are out! So on the back of the Equal box (We have been using Equal found in the back of the cabinet (where else?) since we are out of Splenda too!)I find this easy-peasy recipe for a Chai Latte. Close enough right?
So I put my own spin on it (as usual) and it was FABULOUS! So, here it the recipe in case you every get in a similar predicament! LOL

Peppermint Chai Latte
1 cup of Peppermint-flavored tea (freshly made)
4 packs of Equal or Splenda
a capful (1/4 tsp?) of Vanilla extract
1/4 to a 1/2 cup of half and half

While boiling water to make tea, put vanilla extract and half and half into an Irish coffee mug and microwave for about 30 seconds. Pour water over tea bags in another cup and add in the sweetener. Pour in the sweetened hot tea over the hot vanilla milk mixture and stir briefly. Put a couple of spoonfuls of Cool Whip or Ready Whip on top and garnish with a peppermint stick!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Yay for throwing things together and being successful!

Now, back to studying!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

omg, you sound like my old roomie, who is a teacher. only a teacher would be so resourceful. ;)

Danielle said...

I'm a little late commenting but I'm proud of your "cream of cabinet" lunch!