Thursday, December 17, 2009

Holiday Hooplah! (How do you spell hoolah?)

Okay, so the semester has officially ended and I have left the land of exams and deadlines and school and somersaulted over the fence to the land of domesticated homemakerness! Yay! Actually, I still have a few things to submit, but eh, there are no deadlines soooo, I'm not rushing to anything!
Good things have happened in the week or so:

1. Whitney invited us to be her guests at the Debutante ball, so Hubby and I drove down last weekend! I loved it! She was debuted our freshman year and it all seems so magical to me. Granted, I'm a southern gal, but the closest thing to debutantes I grew up with were the girls (like me) who owned as many pairs of heels as they did hunting boots! I knew one girl, oh wait, 2... growing up who got debuted, and both of them had daddys involved in local politics. So, it was a new experience and one that was super fun. I would love to be able to have my (future) daughter have the chance to be debuted and all! Plus, one of the best parts was that hubby and I drove 4 hours down to the coast (where Whit lives) and 4 hours back in one weekend, and going both directions, we hardly listened to the radio- we just talked the whole way there and back!

2. Did I mention I'm out of school and the most difficult semester of my collegiate career is history?!!!!! Blissful cooking, cleaning, and sleeping in!

3. In all my freedom, you'd think I'd be in the Christmas spirit but I haven't! I have been such a scrooge! Maybe because money is so tight this time of year, maybe because Christmas means cooking, cleaning, and shopping (which are things I usually love...) and that takes energy and work and maybe I'm just not up to it just yet? Who knows why, but I have been so lackluster and blah! Going to look at the Christmas lights didn't really help either! Anyways, Mama and I went shopping yesterday and I finally got a good jump on my shopping. I will never understand those people (like my aunts) who get it done so quickly! I am now about half way done. Shopping (and laughing) with Mama helped get me in the spirit a little more... I think part of it also is that I am not really a "Christmas person" to be honest. It's not my favorite holiday- Easter is my all time favorite. I think that I just want Hubby at home... All that's really missing is him. School gets out Friday, so I think I am just anxious for him to be out and home with me everyday. I know the students are ready to be out of school and on break, too! LOL.

4. Speaking of teaching, I PASSED the PRAXIS II with FLYING COLORS!
On the PLT (Principles and Teaching and Learning- basically educational theory and practices) I made a 190 out of a possible 200, and I only needed a 160-something to pass. On the Middle School English Language Arts content area test, I made a 195 on it out of a possible 200. I am so excited about this. I just gotta take the Social Studies content area test in January and then I am free and clear! :)

5. My sister in law got me a new puppy!! I know, like I needed one!
But, we have always said, IF we were to ever get another dog it would have to be:
- a rescue dog (I really don't believe in paying big bucks to breed one just because you want a certain kind just for a family pet -I mean, it's one thing if you are raising show dogs or hunting dogs or something specific!- but when so many in shelters need loving homes...rescue dogs just make sense.)
- a miniature dachshund - We've always thought that they were super cute, small enough to be easy to handle, and we like their personalities!
- in dire need of a home... we weren't going to actively seek another dog, just be open to it if we came across what we had always hoped for.
- preferably a year old or less
- mostly housebroken and crate trained
- bubbly and sweet and liked by Bella (a dog she would see as her "sister")

As you can see, we had a very specific idea of what kind of dog we would get and under what circumstances we'd get another dog. Well, my sister in law heard that someone she knows at school found what looked like a pure miniature dachshund in a ditch and rescued it. She took care of it for a while, but couldn't take it in herself and had no choice but take it to a shelter.
Sadly, the local shelter is not one of those no-kill facilitates and they actually euthanize dogs after a week or so. And this poor little doggie had been dropped off a few days before, so her clock was ticking!
My sister in law rushed over to the shelter, called my husband and asked if she could adopt it for me as my present for Christmas, and they discussed it.
This sweet puppy fit all of our hopes and circumstances and it seemed like a perfect match.
So, they couldn't wait til Christmas and surprised me with her this week. I named her Lucy. She's kind of crate trained and kind of house trained. We have had a few accidents, but no more than Bella did when we got her (at about the same age) and Bella RARELY EVER has any sort of accidents and will actually wake me up with her nose if she needs to go out and knows to get into her crate as soon as I put my pocketbook on my shoulder. Plus, with Bella's example, Lucy is learning fast. They get along well, and are (as I type this) currently curled up together beside me, snoring in sync. It's darling.
I kinda freaked out at first worrying what would people think about us having 2 dogs... would it be too much mess, too much work? Put it dawned on me that we had such a specific situation and such a well thought out plan, that Lucy being the perfect dog and having all the qualities we were looking for has to be a sign. I can't help but feel like she was supposed to be a part of our family. It just makes sense in my heart, and I realized that PLENTY of our friends and family have more than 1 dog and they make it work and still have clean homes and busy lives, and furthermore, if I felt lead to give this sweet puppy a family than whose business is it and why should I worry about anything except following where my heart leads?
So, needless to say, I am so very happy about having Lucy join the family. :)
With all the holiday hooplah around, I feel like the Christmas spirit is slowly but surely creeping into me. It just took a very successful and fun shopping trip with my mama, and sweet little puppy to jump start it!
Pictures from the week:


3 comments:

Melissa said...

you're too cute! so happy your most difficult semester is over! yay for the doggie!!

oh & i gave you another award. hope you don't mind! heehee!

Melissa said...

you're too cute! so happy your most difficult semester is over! yay for the doggie!!

oh & i gave you another award. hope you don't mind! heehee!

Roxanne said...

Lucy is so adorable! I am so glad you saved her...what a great Christmas gift! After having three dogs for so long, I think having one seems strange :) Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!