Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Just another day in Paradise...

Boy, did I sleep in today. I've made a vow that I will sleep in as late as possible this week since it's my last week of summer freedom. Well, not really, but Monday I start my dreaded summer class (that I had absolutely no choice in taking- it's only offered in summer school- & I had to have it to graduate) and I'm not so happy about it. Anyways, after I finally got up, I got busy doing so cleaning around the house. Mama called, and stopped by the house with some lunch on her way back to work after her doctor's appointment today. She brought me an RO's barbecue sandwich. If you are from the Carolinas, then you'll likely know what an RO's BBQ is. It's this local joint that makes this legendary slaw, and it's absolutely heavenly, and perfect with a Cherry Lemon Sundrop, also a Carolina original. It was great sitting and eating with Mama, but she had to get back soon. After she left, I decided to tackle a few projects. The first was our linen closet. It's technically the former laundry closet before the laundry/utility room was added, so it's a rather large linen closet, and over time, I'm ashamed to say we've kinda just started tossing stuff in and closing the door. It was a mess. So I got to work, making sure I documented my hard work with pictures.
This, I'm a bit embarrassed to show- is before. Horrible I know.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I pulled everything out and started going through it. Everything got sorted and refolded or thrown away or washed and sorted. When I pulled it all out into the bathroom, I saw this and thought to myself, what the heck have I gotten myself into...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Never the less, I preserved. Somewhere along the way I found these.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Who in the world gave us RED washclothes? That's all I need. Red fabrics like this equals death to all light colored things in our house. As my sister in law Danielle and I have both learned, Wilson men have a tendency to accidentally wash them with light colored items like new sheets and favorite khakis and the like. There are enough of these things to ruin every pair of khakis in this house for a while. I seriously debated tossing them. I also realized that I have entirely too many twin XL sheets and comforters left over from mine and hubby's dorm days.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Part of me wanted to pack these up for a yard sale (I'd make one future freshman very happy to find these!) and ended up opting to keep them for the twin guest bed or for blankets to use when star-gazing. They fit perfectly in the bed of a pick up truck, as we found out one night when J and I took his daddy's pick-up out into the cornfield to watch the stars back when we were dating. :) Anyways, back to work. I get side tracked by this big beach bag full of beauty products and such and go digging through it. I find tanning lotions and sunblock and creams and aloe and face masks and all kinds of goodies for a poor girl with no money to go to bath and body works anytime soon. I was quite excited. I remembered that these were some that I brought here from my room at my parents house shortly after I/we moved in here. I got sad thinking they might be too old to use and need to be thrown out, but they smelled fine, looked fine, and everything, and talked myself into believing those people who talk about throwing out your products and getting new every few months are just crazies with money to blow, lol. So I said the heck with it and decided to keep them. :) The bag they were in was a nice find too, I'd forgot all about it. I will be perfect to take to Florida in July for our vacation! :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Finally, my hard work paid off and a nice and neatly organized linen closet emerged. Everything is sorted and categorized, folded and neatly stacked. I definitely can't get over how many blue towels we own- something I just don't understand. I registered for tans and whites and somehow we have a massive stack of very shade of blue that exists... I'm thinking they're from our dorm days as well, otherwise, I must have gotten a lot of wedding gifts that I didn't register for! LOL. Anyways, it still looked much, much better.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was quite happy.
Yesterday, when Daddy and Jake were working on patching some of the cement out by the pool, he had to use the bathroom in our bedroom while I was in the "big bathroom" which is the one we normally use. Since no one ever uses the little bathroom, it was horrible mess. I mean, we've done nothing in there. It's just an empty bathroom with some TP, and a bottle of hand soap and is covered in dust, and the commode desperately needed a scrub. It only gets used if one of us gets up in the middle of the night or if we have to go at the same time, so it's not been a priority. When Daddy when in there, though, I realized I needed to get it looking good, especially if we have a lot of company and some people need to go the same time this weekend during our party! Well, I have no money to go buy anything to decorate it with so I went on a scavenger hunt in the house looking for anything I could use, and I found a decorative picture (it's just out of view in the picture below), a vase and some pretty flowers, a candle holder and 2 candles, and my great grandma's (I think it was hers?) cigarette box, and a bath mat that used to be in the linen closet. So me and the Clorox bottle got to work, scrubbing it from top to bottom. You'll notice there's no before picture, mostly because I was too ashamed to take one. I mean, it wasn't THAT bad, but still... you didn't need to see it. I did some quick [FREE] decorating, hung up my fluffy pink robe and BAM... pretty new bathroom, welcoming for anyone (even company!) to use! :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

At this point, I felt pretty accomplished and started working on some more laundry, and finally ended up finishing most of it just as Hubby got home from work. I showered, helped Hubby make some yummy fajitas (we always get meat for fajitas from our local Hispanic grocery store- it's always better!) and took it outside to eat. We had supper, and spent the rest of the evening with Jake's sister, who came over and splashed around in the pool with us. The perfect relaxing end to a productive day! :)
I have a feeling the rest of this week will be similar as I clean and work to get the house and outside ready for our party this weekend, and of course, I'm gonna be doing a lot of cooking and baking. I'm so excited! I'm especially happy that my best friend Whitney will be in town. She lives on the coast and will be spending the weekend with us. :) I can't wait! It's gonna be an great week!
Love y'all!

1 comment:

Black said...

Awesome job! I am totally right there with you on the makeup and lotions. I never follow that rule mainly because I think it is a HUMONGOUS waste of money and I don't get sunburned by using last years lotion or broken out from 6 month old mascara, so Rock On or should I say Glam On girl! :-)