Monday, May 18, 2009

How I spent my weekend, New recipes, and BURR, it's cold outside!

This blog is going to be a bit random, but I've got a lot of random things to share. So, bare with me! First of all, Star Trek = Amazing. My Daddy & I really enjoyed our daddy/daughter date! We ate sushi & Japanese and went to the movies. I was going to just watch Star Trek because I knew Daddy would like it, but I had heard that even people who were not "trekkies" were loving it, so I was a little bit excited to see it myself. Well, we were a bit early, & we walked in with our tub of popcorn and drinks & sat down, and got confused about the previews... turns out, we had walked in a little less than midways through an earlier showing. So, we just decided to stay and watch it twice! & I'm so glad we did! It was fantastic. It's one that I want to own. & that says a lot coming from me! I loved the quality time with my daddy. He's such a good listener and never judges, which is one of the qualities I love about him. We shared stories of beach & mountain trips and I shared my experience with firefly vodka, LOL...speaking of which... if you don't know about firefly, then I've GOTTA tell you. It's a Carolina thing, made in Charleston, & it's SWEET tea vodka. It tastes just like Mama's sweet tea, but with a major kick. It's really good in tea or lemonade.... makes me want to make a big pitcher of lemonade and serve it with the little umbrellas in the drinks (my sister in law loves those little umbrellas so much she took a box with her on her honeymoon. LOL. Can't say I blame her! :) Those things just make you feel like paradise!)... so anyways, if you haven't tried it, wow. You need to! And if you haven't had some quality time with your daddy in a while, schedule a date. Daddy-Daughter time is priceless!

I have several recipes I'm gonna share... one is for a cake recipe I found in a cookbook in the beach house down at Pawleys, then I added my own twist. It's called a 1,2,3,4 cake, and makes a wonderful yellow cake that's moist and perfect for anything from birthdays to weddings. It's very firm, yet moist and fluffy! Also, I've tried a few pork recipes and they've been successes! I also found a recipe for a Lincoln Cake from the 1860s in my Civil War cookbook & I plan on trying it out soo, so we'll see how it goes.
My friend, Brooke, also introduced me to a carrot cake that was simply to die for. She and her husband had dinner with Jake & me this weekend and we came back to our house for coffee & cake, and she brought me a piece of this carrot cake she made. Let me tell you, I will be making this recipe so soon. The icing is sooooo rich and delicious! I showed her my blog while she was here, and now she's started one, too and she's sharing this cake recipe! EXCITING! Anyways, it's here on her blog, www.blackroostergardening.blogspot.com.
I recommend following her, she's absolutely hilarious and a great friend of mine!

We've been working on updating our house and part of what we did recently is painting. I love how it turned out, but we still have to do the touch ups. Unfortunately though, these things take money, something we DON'T have right now. Thanks to a busy & hectic month with lots of unexpected expenses, we've got about a hundred bucks in the bank & we can't spend a dime until pay day. Thanks so much, Bev Perdue, for cutting my husband's pay (you know, seeing how teachers make sooo much money, it wasn't like we NEEDED that money or anything, right!?) and putting us in this little situation. But it's all okay, because, in all seriousness, the bills are paid and we have what we need. And each other. Our poverty is the good kind, the kind that's frustrating but humbling. And thankfully, pay day is coming soon! LOL
I can't wait for the day when we've both been teaching for a while and getting decent checks, enough for us to the gardening, remodeling, landscaping, and entertaining like we want. Hubby's mentor teacher is like that. She and her husband remind us a lot of our future. They have a BEAUTIFUL home with tons of gardens and a front porch that is so welcoming. And she always serves guests fun & cute finger foods & classic cocktails. She's a wonderful hostess, and I can't wait 'til we have the money to do things like that!

Speaking of money, I found yet another blog to love. This one is called Five Dollar Dinners, and the lady who runs it has lived and taught in the Dominican Republic!!! I was so excited to read that she lived there, and that she bases her recipes on the fact that she was a missionary and teacher in the DR, and knows what it's like to need to cook healthy, hearty meals on a budget! I feel a connection here, mostly because she is a Christian, and has seen how amazing the people of the DR are. Jake & I have talked a lot about living there as teachers and working with the children in the DR, and who knows, it may happen. The time I spent there was life changing and I can't imagine anything more fulfilling than working as a teacher and missionary there! We'll see if that's in God's plan, I guess. Anyways, I love her website, and I can't wait to try some of her recipes. It's www.5dollardinners.com & absolutely am so glad I found it!
Random thing I keep forgetting to share: I MADE THE DEAN'S LIST! Yep, I found out last week. I made all As except for a B+ in my geology lecture (which, is frustrating because I did the math, and if I had been able to go to the extra credit opportunity- the day I was in a wedding- I would have pulled an A! And I asked for any other way of doing the extra credit...) and a B in my Adolescent Lit class, where I honestly didn't try at all. I could have had an A in there if I had put forth some effort, but it was the most boring class ever and I had to sit there for 3 hours. I was doing good to just be there, much less, try my best at anything! haha! Brooke was in the class with me, so I know she knows where I'm coming from! But I'm still SO HAPPY about making the Dean's List! :)

I really need to be outside working on cleaning the remnants of our winter firewood off the back patio, but the weather today sucks. It's sooooo windy and cool, and I'm just not digging the idea of going outside. I mean, really, it's like, COLD. I miss the sunshine. I have came to the conclusion that I NEED the sunshine. Just the other day, I was riding down the road (with my window down, radio up, and sunglasses on, of course) realizing that having my arm out the window and the wind & sun in my hair is possibly the best feeling in the world. The air smelled like honeysuckles, rubber, and sun, and it was euphoric to me! If only summer came in a perfume bottle... I'd wear it everyday. Especially on yucky days like today! COME BACK, sunshine!!! LOL. We'll that's about all that's on my mind today. Here are the recipes I've been meaning to share. I hope someone enjoys them! :)
________________________________
Pan-fried Pesto Pork Chops -> I made these for dinner the other night and hubby was thoroughly pleased with them!

4 boneless pork chops, trimmed of fat
2 eggs, well beaten
2 tbsp pesto (just the kind from a jar!)
1-2 cups Pepperidge Farm bread crumbs
Salt & Pepper to taste.

In a bowl, combine eggs and pesto and whisk well. Dip each pork chop in the egg & pesto batter and coat in bread crumbs on both sides. Put battered & coated chops in a frying pan with a little EVOO and saute until both sides are good and brown and pork chops are firm.
I served this with a big pan full of sauteed red skin potatoes and fresh green beans. The beans remain slightly crisp, but with a little salt and garlic, they are delicious!
___________________

1.2.3.4 Cake with Berry-Delicious Icing
The Cake recipe itself was from a Pawleys Island cookbook & the icing was my own creation.

Cake:
1 cup of butter
2 cups of sugar
3 cups of cake flower
4 eggs
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (it called for mace, but I didn't have any so I used vanilla extract and it turned out just fine!)
1 cup of milk

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs. Sift in the dry ingredients and add milk & vanilla. Beat until smooth. Bake in 2- 8 inch cake pans at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until cakes are slightly brown, firm, and tests done.

Icing:
1/2 a package of cream cheese (this was all I had- a whole package would be just as good!)
1 container of Cool Whip
2 cups of strawberries
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a bowl, beat cream cheese, vanilla, and strawberries until cheese is fluffy and strawberries are crushed up well. Then, add in the cool whip and beat until well blended. It would be best to put the bowl of icing in the fridge or freezer for about an hour and let the icing firm up some, because as the cool whip melts, it gets a little runny. Make sure your cake is very cool before icing, and store in the refrigerator after it's iced. This makes a very summer-y icing and is delicious on the 1.2.3.4 cake!

____________________________

Balsamic & BBQ Pork Loin


1- boneless pork loin
1 cup of balsamic vinaigrette
1 cup of barbecue sauce
2 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp minced onion
Spices to taste- paprika, salt & pepper, & parsley.

Put all ingredients together with a bit of EVOO in a crock pot and cook for at least 4 hours or until pork is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
Serve on whole-wheat buns with lettuce & tomato, with homemade french fries (cut up some potatoes in wedges and bake on a cookie sheet with coarse salt & EVOO for about 20 minutes on 400 degrees).
___________________________

Lastly, I'm going to try out the recipe for Lincoln Cake soon. I'll post that recipe in the near future. You can find Brooke's Carrot Cake recipe here.

Love to all!
BBW

1 comment:

Black said...

The 1,2,3,4 cake was fantastic. Very fluffy and yummy! <3 u!