Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Attack of the Canadian Geese, Summer-boredom, and Prom Photos!

I have a feeling I'm going to be blogging everyday this summer. Well, at least until my summer class starts. I sat my alarm at a decent hour this morning, hit the snooze button & shivered, and realized there was no point in getting up yet. The dog had spooned right up against me, curling her head across my chest, and giving me these sad, sweet puppy-dog eyes as if to say, "Please don't get up yet!" and so I didn't. I turned of the alarm and laid there for 2 hours or more. When I finally did get up, it was only because I had to pee, and I was so rested, going back to bed seemed just as pointless as getting up. One of the good things about teaching is that Jake & I will be on similar schedules, and in the near future (provided that this economy gets out of the crapper and some school districts actually start hiring instead of laying teachers off!) these days when he's teaching and I'm finished, at home waiting for him, should be a thing of the past. Being home alone everyday (even as a kid) during the summers was always a boring thing for me. I loved it (I loved sleeping in) for about a week, then I needed something to do. Inevitably, I either got a summer job (not really happening this summer, unless it's at the Y) or started some crafty projects, which, until Hubby gets paid in a few weeks, so that ain't happening either. I had resorted to doing some prep-gardening- cleaning out 2 beds out by the pool so that when Jake gets paid I can go to Lowe's and get what I need to sproose them up, but this afternoon, not too long ago, I realized that that's not going to happen either- first, because it is still COLD outside (what is this March!? I want some heat back!!!) and most interestingly, my pool and my driveway have been commandeered by 3 agitated and confused Canadian Geese. I heard something squawking, so I went out to check the mail, and low and behold, there was one wandering around my driveway and in and out of my neighbors' yards. I got the mail, and stood there in amazement, while the thing screamed and cried and moaned. My neighbor must have either decided to get his mail too, or hear the goose's shenanigans and came to see. He stepped out and laughed as the thing nearly charged me as I walked out towards it, and told me that he had seen 2 more in my pool! I was like, "Nooo way..." We talked between the squawks and he said he thought they must have been looking for the pond down the street, and maybe this ridiculous wind today blew them off a little, and now they're confused. We didn't talk long because the stupid thing chased me back in the house, where the dog was going nuts to see what her Mommy was doing... I know that goose looked like a giant squeak toy to her, so thank God, she'd already been out to pee, or I imagine my neighbor would have had a heart attack from the sight of me being drug behind a crazy-eyed dog chasing a squawking confused goose across the neighborhood! It wouldn't have been a pretty sight. The fact that I wasn't even wearing a bra yet and my hair is still a mess from sleeping would probably only make it more hilarious. I made it inside and went and looked out a back window overlooking the pool, and yep, 2 geese were taking a dip in my pool! Yep, no yardwork for me today. If I didn't get flogged by one of these big honking geese, I'd get blown away by this hurricane-strength wind, or frozen to death by the frigid temperature. Not happening. So inside I am.
I'm almost positive that I'm going to bake that Lincoln cake now. Mama called & she & I are going shopping (read: my mom is amazing and knows how broke we currently are, so she's taking me along and going to buy whatever she thinks I want or need, and pretend she didn't do a thing! I love her.) after she gets off work. I can let her try my cake then. And, I can already make dinner (Mexican Salad- veggies, ground venison- remember, I don't use beef, just deer!- and taco seasonings) so that when J gets home from work, we can eat then head up to Lowe's to do some price-checking, so we can budget how much we're going to spend re-vamping the pool area for the summer.

My eventful uneventful morning has now turned into the afternoon, so I need to shower at some point, and do a load of laundry, so Hubby wont think he's married to a lazy bum. I'll post the Lincoln Cake recipe and results soon.

Ugh, the squawking is back... anyone know any goose recipes?! Furthermore, do you know any ways to kill a bird when living in the city limits?

________________________

Oh, and by the way, Jessi, my husband's younger sister, went to Prom over the weekend. She wore her dress from my wedding and I did her make-up. She was stunning!
I absolutely love this girl!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Here she is before she went to take pictures, posing up on her Daddy's truck...Image and video hosting by TinyPic Here she is with all her friends! Image and video hosting by TinyPicCutting up with all her girlfriends... Image and video hosting by TinyPic And, wait, oh, yes... It's one if MY prom pictures... I had to throw that one in there! I miss buying big expensive dresses!!!

2 comments:

Black said...

Ok so I am seriously cracking up laughing at you or rather the picture of you running behind Bella as she goes crazy and drags you down the road after geese! It is too comical an image. Also, I totally sympathize about the having slept so much. I was off work for 5 days and since I have been out of school I feel as though I have done nothing productive. I'm with ya!

Black said...

Ok so I am seriously cracking up laughing at you or rather the picture of you running behind Bella as she goes crazy and drags you down the road after geese! It is too comical an image. Also, I totally sympathize about the having slept so much. I was off work for 5 days and since I have been out of school I feel as though I have done nothing productive. I'm with ya!