Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Google IRRITATED and you'll see my picture :)

Okay, I'm officially using this blog as a rant. I'm sooo frustrated! I'm doing a social studies lesson plan, and I understand the fact that for most elementary majors, this is something they can do with their eyes closed up at this point, however, the middle level program at WU is different; we've been submerged in content, and we're just now putting it all together with our MLED classes. So, I've got this draft of a lesson plan due, and I'm so stuck. I have no problem getting the format, purpose, or anything like that; I know what to include, I know how to do this, but what I am having problem with is the creativity; say I want to teach Standard 7-5, seventh grade social studies, learning about WWI, the Great Depression, the New Deal, etc... I'm drawing a blank, so I go to the good old internet like any other teacher and start Googling. The sucky lesson plans I'm finding are nothing but powerpoints and webquests... WHERE'S THE INSTRUCTION IN THAT? Furthermore, I don't KNOW what grade or where I'm teaching, so I don't have a pacing guide to give me an idea of how in-depth I'm going to get into this lesson, seeing that I don't know how much time to give this particular one. I mean, what am I supposed to do? Pull this brilliant idea out of my ass? UGH! This beyond ridiculous! I want cooperative group activites, short intro films, ideas for writing prompts, games and class activites that are fun and challenging that GET THE POINT ACROSS... I don't want my kids living in the computer lab! I will not be one of those kinds of teachers who has the kids reading and doing worksheets while I have my thumb up my ass like so many others I've seen... I WANT IDEAS!!! This lesson plan is keeping me up, when thanks to my poor sickly hubby's hacking cough all night and tossing and turning, I've not had a decent night's sleep in a week!!! This is freakin' ridiculous! Is it too much to ask for some decent lesson plans and activity suggestions and one damn night of good sleep?!?!?!?!?! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

No comments: