Monday, January 05, 2009

The Spaghetti Squash Experiment

So, the last time I went to the grocery store, I bought big whole spaghetti squash after seeing a recipe for spaghetti using squash instead for noodles on Rachael Ray. I loooove Rachael Ray & will try just about anything she makes, so I thought "hey, why not?'

Well, I bought that big squash and it cost nearly 5 dollars, but I still was excited about it & hoped it would be worth it. I don't know why I was so scared to try to cook it, I'm NEVER scared of cooking... but I've avoided it and cooked the old faithfuls. Anyways, this squash HAD to be used, and I wasn't gonna waste my money by letting it go bad, so today, Jake's first day back to school, I decided to cook it and have it on the table when he gets home. I'm even wearing the "Marylin Monroe" style apron my mother in law got me. As it turns out, I didn't exactly follow Rachael's recipe & put my own spin on it. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be making this again!

Here's a link to the Rachael Ray Recipe where I got my inspiration. =)
http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=2145


Italian Venison & Squash Spaghetti
1 whole spaghetti squash, cut into halves length ways
EVOO
1 pound ground meat (I used deer meat, of course.)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
5 pieces of bacon
2 teaspoons of butter
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
about 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
spices to taste-
paprika, parsley, ground glove, garlic salt, coarse ground pepper, etc

Take the 2 pieces of squash, and place cut-side down on a cookie sheet drizzled with EVOO.
Bake for 45-60 minutes.
While the squash bakes, cook up the bacon and set aside to crumble later.
Then, using the bacon grease, saute the diced onion & carrots & chopped garlic until veggies are almost tender, then add the ground venison. Cook until meat is brown & veggies are very tender, seasoning with spices to taste as it cooks.
When the squash halves are done, take them out of the oven & set aside. Use a fork to pull insides apart, forming what looks like noodles. Put a spoonful of butter on each piece of squash.
After the meat is brown & veggies are done, add the brown sugar and spaghetti sauce to the pan.
Let meat & sauce simmer together until all the flavors are married and the brown sugar has carmelized.
Spoon the meat & sauce mixture over the squash noodles & cover with cheese & crumble bacon. Put the whole thing back into the oven until the cheese is melted & you're ready to eat!

~*~This was also my first time photgraphing the food as I cook it. I really liked having the pictures to scroll back through to remind me of what I did step by step. It also will come in handy for a cookbook one day, lol!
The finished product :)

No comments: