Monday, January 12, 2009

Irrevocably in love with Twilight.

Back before Christmas, I asked a couple of friends who were then head-over-heels for the Twilight series what all the fuss was about, and they raved and raved about how wonderful it was, so I decided one day to see what was so alluring about this fantasy book about werewolves and vampires. I have never in my life been a fan of anything remotely fantasty-like, so I was positive I'd find Twilight as unappealing as I had The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter... I loathed both of those, simply because the fantasy and magic of it all over-shadowed the story for me. But, I gave Twilight a chance to prove me wrong, at the nagging of many friends. I went to Books a Million one day, sat down in the most comfortable chair I could find, then started fliping through the book. I started reading. Before I knew it, I was in 100 pages deep, and completely captivated by Edward's mystery and the force pulling him and Bella together. It hooked me. I was pretty shocked, given my history with this kind of book. SO, I asked for a copy for Christmas, and hubby bought me the first book in the series over the holiday. I didn't start it right away, with all the crazy holiday things going on, so I waited until Jake when back to work after the new year started and finally started it a few days ago. I read it in one day, and HAD TO have the next book in my hands. HAD TO. So, on the way to Jake's dodgeball game (yep, Hubby is playing in a dodgeball league!) we stopped by the store and I got it, and read half of the second one before I went to bed that night. I was smart enough to get the 3rd one while I was at the bookstore, considering how fast I was flying through them. My mother in law had just finished the last one, so I knew I could get it from her. I finished the entire saga last night.
Let me just say, it was the most amazing series, ever. Period. It was like the fact that we were talking about a vampire-werewolf-human love triangle was a complete afterthought. What held me so completely entranced was the descriptions of Bella's feelings. Her thoughts, her senses, her feelings. The way it was written had ME in love with Edward and Jacob, too, just as Bella was, and I was just as anguished as to how to make peace with it. By the end of it, I was completely convinced that Edward and Bella's love story is up there in the ranks of other classic literary lovers. Especially Cathy & Heathcliff and Romeo & Juliet... It was amazing.
I'm sooooo thankful I got to finish it before I go back to school...tomorrow.

There's alot more on my mind, but I've got some errands to run today, so maybe tonite I'll set down and purge my brain... I've got to make room for all the junk I'm gonna be stuffing in there very, very soon... I hate starting a semester. Gulp.

No comments: